Jul 30 / Admin

New Scam Alert: BEC Victim Pays $3.5M

It News reported:

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) said in a statement that a 38-year-old man from Lurnea in Sydney’s south-west had been charged with “allegedly dealing with $3.5 million in proceeds of crime after a corporate email was fraudulently used to deceive the Northern Territory government.”

“The AFP will allege the man registered a business to closely resemble [a] legitimate contractor for the government agency and opened a bank account to receive the fraudulently obtained funds,” it said.

“The government agency then paid $3,583,363 to the fraudulent bank account believing it was linked to the legitimate ... company.”

Key point:  Fraudster was a local man. 

Find the original article here.

Enroll in Training Sessions:  Last Thursday of Every Month is Training on Frauds and New Scam Alerts and How to Combat